A small white pill with M357 stamped on it has been identified as APAP 500 MG and hydrocodone bitartrate 5 MG Oral Tablet. This pill is a white oval (capsule-shaped) tablet which is imprinted with M357 on one side and bisected on the other side. The main usage of this pill M357 is that it can relieve moderate to severe pain for patients. On one hand, Hydrocodone which can be also called Lortab or Vicodin, as the main ingredient of this white pill M357, belongs to the drug class analgesic and is mainly used for treatments of severe pain. On the other hand, Acetaminophen which is the other main ingredient, is also a type of analgesic and can be helpful for pain relief and other purpose like antipyretic. Here are some further details for this pill as below:
- 1. Strength: Hydrocodone Bitartrate 5 mg and Acetaminophen 500 mg for each Hydrocodone Bitartrate and Acetaminophen Tablet USP
- 2. Route of Administration: Oral administration
- 3. Dosage: The usual dosage of this pill M357 is 1-2 pieces each time for an adult and 4-6 times every day. You can adjust the dosage if the pain is moderately severe but you should not take more than 8 tablets in a day.
- 4. Package: It varies due to different suppliers, such as 90, 100 or 120 tablets in one bottle.
Warning and Precautions for special population when using pill M357
- Women in pregnancy: Only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus, it could be considered to take Hydrocodone tablets.
- Women in labor and delivery: For these mothers who uses this pill regularly prior to delivery, it may cause their babies respiratory depression especially their mothers take higher doses.
- Nursing Mothers: Like many other drugs, Acetaminophen can be also excreted in breast milk, so it is recommended to consult with the doctor then make sure to continue the drug or nursing.
- Pediatric: There are no adequate studies that can be proved to be safe to use Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen tablets in these population.
- Geriatric: Low doses will be the best option for elderly patients, because the function of kidney in elderly people may be likely to have decreased more than younger people.
- Other special patients besides above:
1). People who have health problems in kidney or liver should be cautious to use hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen tablets.
2). Postoperative patients and people who have got pulmonary disease should pay close attention to the cough reflex while using Hydrocodone.
3). People who are allergic to Acetaminophen or Hydrocodone should not take this pill, if there are several allergy symptoms when accidentally using, stop taking immediately and call the doctor at once.
Respiratory depression is the main symptom of Hydrocodone overdose, other possible overdose signs can be including hypotension, somnolence extremely and cold skin, in some severe cases, it can cause cardiac arrest and even death. Hepatic necrosis which may be fatal is the most serious symptoms of Acetaminophen overdose, nausea and vomiting is the common early symptoms. Besides, there may occur some adverse effects such as coagulation and renal tubular necrosis.