Doing science projects at home with your kids can be really rewarding. You can have a fun time with our kids experimenting with the science project and at the same time you will be teaching your child something new. Maybe your children ask a lot of questions, well with science projects you can actually show them the answers. It gets your child involved with science and give you a chance to look like a pretty cool parent.
Here a couple of science projects that you can do at home with your kids.
toilet paper tube
white camera film canister
vinegar or baking soda
1. Use the markers to let your child color and design on the toilet paper tube, which will be the rocket launcher.
2. Tape the toilet paper tube to the middle of the Styrofoam plate.
3. Put 1 tbsp of vinegar in the film canister. Hold the canister near the toilet paper tube and then add 1/2 tsp baking soda. Quickly snap the lid on and put it in the toilet paper tube lid side down. Make sure that you and your children stand back away from the launcher.
4. The canister will launch in approximately in 20-30 seconds. If the rocket does not launch, then make sure that you wait at least 2 minutes before you check the canister.
Making A Compass
1. Hold one end of the pin and wipe the magnet along the pin approximately 20-30 times. Make sure that you are only wiping the magnet in one direction on the pin and not going back down the opposite way.
2. Push the pin through the cork.
3. Fill the bowl up with water, at least half way.
4. Put the cork with the pin in it in the bowl. The pin will rotate and will align with the north axis. If it does not work, make sure that you have no metal around your bowl and you are not near a television or radio.
1. Boil 1 1/2 cups water.
2. Add 3/4 cup of sugar to the water and stir well so that the sugar dissolves.
3. Pour the sugar water solution into the glass jar.
4. Hang a piece of string onto a pencil and place the pencil on top of the jar.
5. Submerge the string into the jar.
6. Crystals will grow slowly over the next couple of days.
*Make sure that you keep your children away from the boiling water if they are young and that you safely transfer the water into the jars.