The two most important things to get rid of double chin fat are of course diet and exercise. The truth is you can’t really lose fat on only one part of your body though. If you are taking in the right kinds of foods and in the right quantities you will reduce the chin fat under your chin as you slim down overall.
Exercise also helps you lose fat fast for two main reasons:
- It burns calories.
- It builds lean muscle which even at rest causes you to burn more fat.
This assumes you’re doing both resistance training (weights, bands, etc.) and also some kind of cardio like walking, running, swimming, on anything else that gets your heart rate up.
This doesn’t have to mean crazy long hours in the gym or starving yourself. A very modest exercise routine along with adding a few key foods and yes eliminating a few key bad ones can make an amazing difference for how little sacrifice it really is.
One myth about exercise is that if you want to lose fat in a specific area, doing exercises for that area will help. That really isn’t true. Again, you can’t lose fat in just one spot.
Where exercises for a specific area do pay off is in toning the muscles in that area so that as you lose the fat the overall tone and shape of the area, in this case that pesky double chin, looks much firmer and better than if you just lost the fat and the muscles underneath were still soft and out of shape.
So here are some very general diet and exercise recommendations that should help you get rid of your double chin:
Foods You Should Eat:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Water (I know not really a food but very important. I drink 8 glasses a day)
Foods You Should Not Eat:
- Excessive Sugar
- Excessive sodium
- Just about any fast food
- Any food high in calories, bad carbohydrates (they’re not all bad), and bad fats (again not all are bad)
- Coffee (Again, not a food and, I know, this can be a tough one. I haven’t quit entirely but I have cut down a lot.)
These are really just starter lists. I plan to update them over time and also to give a little more info about portions and timing too. I will also in future posts list some specific programs for both diet and exercise. I just wanted to give some overall ideas in this post to get started.
General Exercise Routine:
This depends in large part what your other goals are too but in general a program consisting of moderate resistance training maybe 2 or 3 times a week and a half-hour of cardio like running on a treadmill 3-6 days a week will really help get you there.
If that sounds like a lot just do some walking or jogging a few days each week and some light calisthenics (think back to gym class) like pushups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, squat thrusts, and things like that. Or, if you’re so inclined play a little Basketball, Racquetball, or Soccer. Or…walk or run with your kids or your dog if you have either. Be creative and try to have fun with it. You have two basic goals here:
- Burn calories
- Build and tone a little bit of lean muscle.
I know sometimes Women worry about building muscle but really don’t worry. You won’t accidentally wind up looking like a body builder. Having a little bit of lean muscle will, in fact, make you look great! It will also burn more calories even at rest. This is the biggest reason Men can lose weight more quickly. More muscle burns more fat.
Specific Double Chin Exercises:
One exercise I’ve seen in numerous articles is to:
- Open your mouth as wide as you reasonably can. Don’t lock your jaw or anything.
- Keep it open for around 10 seconds
- Relax your mouth
Repeat this 6 to 10 times.
I plan on posting a lot more specific nutrition and exercise tips in future posts. I’ll probably gear different posts towards different levels of exercise and nutritional change.
No matter how much or how little you have time for you can still make positive changes and to more or less of a degree get rid of chin fat.
Lose Face Fat With This Recipe
After studying several different sources for what kinds of foods help get rid of a double chin, improve muscle tone, and also the firmness and overall health and appearance of the skin, I came up with the following recipe. It’s not fancy but it is pretty simple to prepare and relatively inexpensive.
- 2 Salmon burgers (I got them at Costco)
- 3 Eggs (I got the naturally nested kind)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 can of Black Beans
How to Prepare:
- Set a burner to medium heat.
- Pour in some Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I use enough to coat the bottom of the pan well.
- Once fully heated, I add in the 2 Salmon burgers.
- Cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip the Salmon burgers and set a timer for 4 more minutes.
- Crack the 3 eggs and put them in the half of the pan that’s empty and basically scramble them.
- Pour in the can of black beans.
- Once the 4 minutes are up just mix it all together and serve.
If you’re concerned about any health risks of undercooking the eggs, etc. you can certainly increase the cooking times as much as it takes to feel comfortable about it.
- Tastes good (I actually like the taste of this weird mixture)
- Easily makes enough for two or three meals.
- Uses a minimum amount of pans, etc..
- Doesn’t take very long.
- Is super easy to make. I know anyone who really cooks will laugh at this recipe but it works for me.
- Any one of the ingredients in this are very good for losing chin fat, improving muscle tone, and making your skin look firmer.
Why does this help you get rid of your chin fat:
The Salmon helps for a couple of reasons. It contains DMAE which is great for the skin and it also has the good kind of fatty acids that actually help you lose fat not just face fat but anywhere you have excess fat. This is also a great source of protein which helps you build muscle tone.
The eggs also have Omega 3 which helps you lose fat and is a great source of protein.
The black beans are a very good kind of carbohydrate and also really help you feel full for a long time. If you’re worried about the ah, let’s call them, side effects of eating beans you can rinse them off with water to help.
Finally the olive oil has good fats and I think it help with the taste and texture too.
So there you have it. If you’re trying to lose face fat so that you have a firm jaw line this recipe will help. Again, I’m obviously no kind of chef. I’m a busy person who doesn’t actually cook much.
I wanted something really powerful and that was quick and easy to do. On really busy days I’ll alternate this meal with a protein shake. Not ideal but I stay full and lose fat fast.
Obviously Salmon filets would be much better as would baking rather than kind of frying any ingredients.