For treating leptospirosis as well as other infections of child, amoxicillin has been applied at this field. It’s luckily that the medication is having at diversified forms so that it’s available for different ages of children. However it should be noticed that parents must obey dosage of amoxicillin when children taking, which is a very important thing.
As we know, amoxicillin as a kind of antibiotic is a member of the penicillin class. It works to kill bacteria by acting as mold of penicillin. It need take orally. Generally it is effective for treating various diseases that children got either acute otitis media or lyme disease. On the other hand, there are two factor that can influence amoxicillin dosage. One is what age child or infant wants to take the antibiotic. The other is what condition is the penicillin used for treating.
The medicine is available to be used orally, which is effective for parents to manage this medicine and meanwhile children is safe to take. Generally, the doctor prescribe amoxicillin to treat infections of throat, sinus, stomach, urinary tract, skin, nose as well as ears.
Typical dosage for children’s taking
Different diseases of children will decide the dosage of amoxicillin. Below information are detailed description of diseases and the dosage that children need.
1. If suffering an infection of nose, throat and ears
1) The reason for infection of nose, throat and ears
If the cavities behind the nose are invaded by viruses or bacteria, it says you’ve got infection of sinus or sinusitis. The same reason, if some organisms infect the eardrum fluid, then infections of ears can be appeared. If the doctor diagnose a child has got infection of nose, throat as well as ears, he or she generally writes out a prescription of amoxicillin for treatment.
Some factors need be carefully considered before taking amoxicillin, so that you can ensure proper dosage required.
- For a child under 3 months, the daily dosage according to body weight needs to be less than 30mg per kg, divided 2 doses per day.
- For a child more than 3 months but weight less than 40 kgs, the dosage of soft to moderate infection should be 20mg per kg each day , divided 3 doses per day in 24 hours, or 25mg per kg, divided 2 doses per day. The daily dosage of serious infection should be 45mg/kg, divided 2 doses per day, or 40mg/kg, divided 3 doses each day.
- For a child more than 3 months and weighing more than 40 kgs, his or her dosage of soft or moderate infection is 500mg per time with 2 doses per day, or 250mg per time with 3 doses 1 day. The required dosage of serious infection should be increased to 500mg per time with 3 doses 1 day, or 875mg per time with 2 doses one day.
It should be noticed that the dosage will be increased as the child grew older , and less depending on weight.
2. If suffering streptococcal pharyngitis
1) The reason for streptococcal pharyngitis
This disease commonly is happened in the children in 5-15 years old. As a fact that bacteria infects the oropharynx located at back of throat and mouth, which lead to sore throat.
- For the babies or newborns less than 12 weeks, the daily dosage is 30mg per kg, divided 2 doses a day.
- For a child more than 12 weeks, the dosage is 50mg/kg a day, taking 10 days. This dosage is applied to stop rheumatic fever and treat strep throat.
It should be noticed that max. dose is a gram unit a day, which is not divided to take.
3. If suffering a lyme disease
1) The reason for lyme disease
If a tick bites somebody after biting a deer or mouse who has infected borrelia burgdorferi, this person will get lyme disease. There are three stages for this disease. The first stage is early local i.e. the start of infection. And second stage is early disseminated i.e. start spreading. The final stage is late disseminated i.e. spreading completely.
- At a stage of early local, the required daily dosage towards a child is 50mg per kg, divided 3 doses a day, keep taking 14-21 days.
- At a stage of lyme arthritis i.e. spreading to the joints and nerves, the required daily dosage towards a child is 50mg per kg, divided 3 doses every day, but keep taking 28 days.
It should be noticed that the MAX. amount can not exceed 1500mg every day.
4. If suffering an ear infection i. e. otitis media
1) The reason for otitis media
Otitis media commonly happens among infants or children from 6-18 months, because the middle part of ear is infected. Moreover this infection commonly happens on male children more than female.
- For a baby from 4 weeks to 3 months, the daily dosage according to body weight should be 20 to 30mg per kg every day, once every 12 hours.
- For a child from 4 months to 12 years old, his/her dosage according to body weight is 20 to 50mg per kg every day, once every 8 to 12 hours.
- For a child suffering the severer otitis media, the required dosage need reach to 80-90mg per kg every day, divided 2 doses, once every 12 hours. Oral taking.
5. If suffering tonsillitis or pharyngitis
1) The reason for tonsillitis or pharyngitis
Through contacting closely with the individuals who are infected, the throat is infected. Thus it cause inflammation on the throat or tonsils. It is called tonsillitis if the infected area is the throat. It is called pharyngitis if the infected area is the tonsils. It is called pharyngotonsillitis if both of these areas are infected.
- For a infant from 4 weeks to 3 months, the dosage based on body weight is 20 to 30mg/kg every day, once every 12 hours.
- For a child from 4 months to 12 years old, the dosage should be 20 to 50mg/kg every day, once every 8-12 hours.
- For a child more than 12 years old, the daily dosage is 250 to 500mg/kg, divided 3 doses every day, oral taking 7-10 days. Or oral taking 500-800mg/kg, divided 2 doses every day.
It should be noticed that the immediate releasing dosage is 500-800mg per kg. But 775mg one time per day by oral taking one hour after meals is the extended releasing dosage.
6. If suffering pneumonia
1) The reason for pneumonia
The infected bacteria or virus can cause lung tissues inflammation, which is called pneumonia. Either one or two lungs can be affected. If a person is experiencing pneumonia, his or her small air sacs located on the breathing tubes can be infected and lead to fluid filling in the lungs,which results in swelling lungs.
For children suffering pneumonia, the required daily dosage is 40-50mg per kg, taking once every 8 hours.
The various form of amoxicillin dosage for children
1.Pediatric drops for infants: Taken orally, or you can add it into juice, baby formula or water before taking. As it is for infants, it has a taste like bubble-gum.
2.Oral suspension for older children: Its taste is also likes bubble-gum. The dosages are divided in three degrees for 5ml or one teaspoon. They respectively are 200mg per 5ml, 250mg per 5ml as well as 400mg per 5ml.
3.Chewing tablets are applied for children who is able to chew and swallow. It contains the flavor of peppermint-cherry-banana. It has two kinds dosages including 200mg and 400mg, it’s more convenient for taking than oral suspension.
4.Regular tablets are applied for older children who is able to swallow 500mg to 875mg tablets.
5.Extended-release tablets are applied for children who is able to swallow the whole tablets. This form of amoxicillin can avoid excessive drug releasing.
6.Capsules are applied for older children who is able to swallow the whole capsule. It is generally 500mg per capsule. The capsules can not be opened when taking.